What is the CURIE Academy?
CURIE Academy is a one-week residential program created for high-school girls who excel in the math and science field. The program is designed for rising juniors and seniors and provides them with the opportunity to explore engineering in a more hands-on and interactive environment. The program will take place at Cornell University and begins on July 18th to the 24th. Tuition cost will be $1450, which includes room expenses, board/meals, and research supplies.
Who is Eligible for the CURIE Academy?
To be eligible for CURIE Academy, applicants must fulfill these requirements:
- Must be a rising junior or rising senior in high school
- Young women interested in learning more about engineering
- Must have a minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
How to Apply?
To apply for this program, applicants are required to submit an online application for the program, which will be available mid-December of 2020. In the meantime, a preview of the application will be available on the website. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so it is recommended to submit applications as soon as possible. All applications must be submitted by March 2nd, 2021.
The Curie Academy application requires:
- An essay (maximum of 500 words) about your interest; in participating in the program, what you hope to gain from participating in the program, why you are interested in engineering, and thoughts and plans for future careers.
- Current high-school transcript, which includes your most recent grades from the past semester
- High school profile
- An Academy Online Recommendation Form completed by a math teacher, science teacher, or high-school counselor
- A financial assistance form (optional) if you have demonstrated financial need and wish to be considered for tuition or scholarship. A parent/guardian will need to fill out a Financial Assistance Form and upload income verification such as a W-2 Form or Tax Return
- A $75 non-refundable deposit required from all applicants
Tuition and Scholarship
To attend CURIE Academy, students must pay a tuition fee of $1450. However, CURIE Academy has multiple ways to reduce the cost or waive it altogether.
- All applicants that are concerned about tuition cost are encouraged to apply for a scholarship. Scholarships for tuition and travel are given based upon demonstrated need. Applicants should submit the Application for Financial Assistance along with their CURIE Academy application. If admitted to CURIE Academy, those who received scholarship awards will be notified of this.
- Rising seniors (class of 2022) who are African/Black American, Latino, Native American/Alaska Native, or Pacific Islander and/or first-generation college students will automatically be considered for a tuition waiver for the 2021 CURIE Academy if they meet the criteria shown below:
- Math score of 620 or above on the SAT/PSAT/Subject Test (or equivalent to an ACT score of 28 or above) and/or
- Have taken, currently taking, or plan on taking the following courses prior to graduating in 2022: Calculus, Physics, and/or Chemistry (or related Science and Math courses)