What is the University of Pennsylvania: Leadership in the Business World Program?
Leadership in the Business World is a program sponsored by UPenn’s business school, Wharton. Since its introduction in 1999, LBW has brought students from six continents and nearly every state to Wharton. This intensive four-week summer program is for rising high-school juniors interested in obtaining the expertise and knowledge necessary to become future leaders of the 21st century. Through both a dynamic and rigorous mix of classes, students learn about leadership in 21st-century organizations from Wharton professors, business leaders, visiting company sites, and team-building activities. Throughout the program, LBW students will: attend lectures and presentations from Wharton faculty and guest speakers, participate in class discussions involving business subjects such as entrepreneurship, and leadership, receive guidance from current Wharton students who serve as Teaching Assistants (TA), develop and improve leadership skills through team activities, visit successful business enterprises and learn from successful leaders across all industries such as finance, real estate and many more, participate in cultural and social activities and test their abilities to become future business leaders. The program fee’s total cost is $8,495, which covers tuition, housing, food, activities, and trips. Although expensive, this program is a phenomenal opportunity for talented individuals interested in making their mark on the world.
Who is eligible?
To be eligible for the Leadership in the Business World, applicants must fulfill the following requirements:
- Minimum 3.3 unweighted GPA, or above
- A well-written and thought-out essay that expresses their interest in the program
- Recommendations that display applicant’s academic performance and potential
- Test scores that are in or above the 85th percentile
- Although not required, submitting standardized test scores are highly preferred
- Provide a valid high-school transcript and school profile
- A non-refundable application fee of $100
- Must submit TOEFL scores if the applicant’s first language isn’t English; competitive applicants tend to have a score of 100 and above.
How to Apply?
To apply for this program, applicants must be rising high-school seniors and apply for Wharton School’s Leadership in the Business World application. Unfortunately, application forms are currently down but should be back up around January. Priority deadline is January 22nd, April 1st for international applicants and May 1st for domestic applicants. Applications are on a rolling basis, so apply early for the best possible chance because slots will fill up quickly. Applicants must submit a valid high-school transcript, two letters of recommendation, and a response to the essay prompt and short answer prompt, as shown above. Applicants must also submit a valid school profile that briefly describes their school and its programs. Standardized test scores are recommended but not required. Applicants must also pay a non-refundable application fee of $100; however, the application fee can be waived if financial trouble is an issue.
Application Essay/Short Answer Prompts
Applicants must submit both a short essay and a short answer prompt, which is required to apply for the program. The essay prompt and short answer prompt are listed below, and it is recommended that students start as soon as possible if they plan on applying.
Essay/Short Answer Prompt:
- Describe a leadership experience that is not reflected elsewhere in your application. How will you bring your experience to the LBW program? Must be 300-400 words.
- Tweet-style bio: In 140 characters or less, give us your biography as if it were a tweet.